James Mazza represents debtors, creditors, asset purchasers and private equity investors in corporate restructuring transactions, both in and out-of-court, involving clients’ interests across the globe. Mr. Mazza’s experience extends to a wide variety of industries, including automotive, airlines, energy, financial services, health care, gaming, real estate and retail.
He also regularly advises companies’ management and boards of directors regarding fiduciary duty issues in financially distressed situations. Mr. Mazza’s representative clients include:
- SunEdison, Inc., a renewable energy project developer, in its Chapter 11 case (the largest filed in 2016) and successful emergence from bankruptcy;
- a mobile diagnostics health care provider in its out-of-court recapitalization and consent solicitation in which the company received $216 million in new capital to refinance a maturing $70 million revolving credit facility and a three-year maturity extension of its $320 million term loan debt;
- Exide Technologies, a global transportation and industrial battery manufacturer, in its successful Chapter 11 restructuring of more than $600 million of debt;
- C&S Wholesale Grocers as the co-chair of the official committee of unsecured creditors in the second Chapter 11 case of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A&P), a grocery store chain;
- Unified Grocers as co-chair of the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Haggen, Inc., a grocery store chain; and
Prior to joining Skadden in 2012, his major representative matters included handling major Chapter 11 cases for Visteon Corporation (auto supplier), A&P (grocer), Calpine Corporation (power producer) and UAL Corporation (parent of United Airlines).
In 2014, Mr. Mazza was recognized as one of the nation’s “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyers” by Turnaround and Workouts, which annually recognizes 12 individuals nationwide under the age of 40 for their individual accomplishments in corporate restructuring.
Rate : $$$$