James M. Kwartnik focuses his practice on construction law. Prior to becoming an attorney, James worked for a construction management firm and a Northeast regional specialty subcontractor performing various accounting and management functions. Building on that experience, his practice focuses exclusively on the construction industry.
James has counseled and represented construction managers, general contractors, design professionals, developers, and subcontractors in all phases of construction projects, both public and private, and through the dispute resolution process.
He has experience in numerous sectors of the construction industry, having worked on projects involving infrastructure construction, renovation and expansion, power plants, industrial facilities, hotels, and other commercial vertical construction.
He also counsels and represents clients through the contract negotiation process and has experience drafting a wide array of construction, project management and design services contracts.
James received his bachelor’s degree in finance, magna cum laude, from Saint Joseph’s University, where he was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the National Business Honor Society. James earned his law degree from Temple University School of Law.
- Drafted and negotiated construction and design services contracts for projects located throughout the United States on behalf of international direct-to-consumer retailer headquartered in Pennsylvania.
- Drafted and negotiated an $80 million guaranteed maximum price agreement in connection with the construction of a mixed-use high rise in Raleigh, N.C.
- Drafted and negotiated, on behalf of the design-builder, all contract documents with the owner, architect, general contractor, and subconsultants in connection with the design and construction of a new health sciences building, valued at more than $10 million, at a university in Pennsylvania.
- Drafted and negotiated a $40 million guaranteed maximum price agreement in connection with the construction of a hotel in Philadelphia.
- Negotiated the resolution of respective delay claims of an owner-developer and construction manager arising out of the construction of a mixed-use tower in Indianapolis.
- Negotiated the resolution of respective delay claims of the owner-developer and construction manager arising out of the construction of a high rise, luxury condominium tower in New York City.
- Defended a design-builder against claims asserted by various subcontractors arising out of the construction of the Regional Produce Center in Philadelphia.
- Temple University—James E. Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2009
- St. Joseph’s University, B.S., magna cum laude, 2003
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$