James Reed advises clients on patent protection, defense and enforcement, with a majority of his practice devoted to drafting original patent applications and prosecution of those applications in the US, Europe, Japan and China.
He also frequently conducts due diligence and freedom-to-use studies, mostly in connection with M&A. James’ technical areas include automotive and aeronautical/aerospace systems, electro-mechanical systems, machine learning/artificial intelligence (ML/AI) applied to decision support systems, security and business automation, medical devices, mechatronics and sensors.
James has an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering, a master’s degree in applied mathematics and hands-on industry experience with mathematical modelling of complex aerospace systems, hardware testing and predicting on-orbit performance of spacecraft. Prior to entering the legal industry, James worked as an engineering consultant to NASA.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Director of Judicial Outreach, 2010 – 2012
- Member of Advisory Board for California Technology Council’s California Cybersecurity Information Sharing Organization (CalCISO)
- American University, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- The Johns Hopkins University, M.S., 1994
- Boston University, B.S., 1988
Rate : $$$$