James M. Mei focuses primarily on business-related immigration, international business transactions, and Chinese joint venture law. Jim represents small and medium-size multinational companies at home and abroad. He assists them in obtaining various temporary working visas, including L-1, E-1/E-2, H-1B, O-1, TN and employment-based immigrant petitions and applications.
Jim works regularly with U.S. companies that are acquiring and establishing businesses in China. He assists his U.S. clients in a range of documentation with Chinese parties, including shareholder, distribution, and joint venture agreements.
Jim also helps companies from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan make investments in real estate, manufacturing, importing and exporting, and construction in the U.S.
- Representing Daimler Trucks North America LLC, a Daimler company, with all of its nonimmigrant and immigrant matters. This includes transferring more than 120 executives, managers, and professionals under L-1 A/Bs for a new assembly line in Portland within a 12-month period.
- Obtaining 60 temporary working visas for an international semiconductor company to run a billion-dollar wafer production facility in Washington.
- Successfully transferring 120-plus top executives, managers, and specialized knowledge staff from Europe, Asia, Canada, and Australia to the U.S. for a world-renowned wind technology company headquartered in Portland.
- Representing well-known athletes such as a soccer superstar from Germany, a world-ranked figure-skating pair from Japan, a top-ranked skateboard athlete from Canada, and an international gymnastics judge and Ballet dancers from China in obtaining their temporary U.S. workers permits and/or U.S. permanent residency.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Fujian Sister State Committee (Appointed by the President of the Oregon State Senate)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Board Member, 1995-present; Board Vice President, 2007-2008; President, 2009 — Portland Suzhou Sister City Association
- Co-director, Willamette University College of Law Summer Program in Shanghai, 1986-present
- Asian Studies Advisory Board, Willamette University, 2008
- Member, Citizens’ Board of Confucius Institute, Portland State University, 2009
- J.D., Willamette University College of Law, 1988
- B.A., Shanghai University, 1983
Rate : $$$$