James P. Menton is member of Robins Kaplan LLP. A litigation attorney primarily focused on business litigation, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, James Menton draws upon his extensive professional network to provide clients with strategic resources and solutions in their cases.
His experience includes representing clients in, or involved with, the entertainment, food & beverage, financial, insurance, manufacturing, real estate, and retail industries.
Today’s challenging economic environment places increased scrutiny on corporate directors and officers, and litigation associated with alleged misconduct has risen significantly. Mr. Menton has played an active role, as early and decisive counsel, in transforming a client’s ability to address and manage this reenergized level of scrutiny of corporate governance practices.
Experienced in both prosecuting and defending litigation, Mr. Menton advises and assists clients on matters concerning director and officer liability and fraud-related claims. His services and background include:
- Director and Officer Liability Matters – Advising on such issues as fiduciary duties, the business judgment rule, and accessing director and officer liability insurance in bankruptcy.
- Litigation Counsel – Acting on civil claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, fraudulent transfers and other claims on behalf of the prosecuting or defending party.
- Investigation and Reports – Providing full inquiry and analysis, as requested, concerning director and officer liability, financial transactions and potential claims.
Mr. Menton also has experience in estate planning issues and representing clients, including high net worth individuals and families, closely-held companies, foundations, trustees and fiduciaries, in pre-litigation advice and assessment and in litigation involving matters that include valuation disputes, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, and trust-related commercial disputes.
- University of California Los Angeles School of Law, J.D. (1991)
- Northwestern University, B.A. in Political Science (1984)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Turnaround Management Association, Southern California Chapter: Member, Board of Directors (2012-present)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Financial Lawyers Conference
Rate : $$$