James A. Mercer is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s San Diego (Del Mar) and London offices. Mr. Mercer practices in the area of corporate law, with an emphasis in United States and cross-border capital markets and merger and acquisition transactions.
Mr. Mercer represents companies in public offerings of securities in the United States including initial public offerings, secondary public offerings, tender offers, registered direct offerings, and PIPEs, as well as periodic reporting and disclosure, Sarbanes Oxley and Dodd Frank Compliance.
He advises United States and international companies in private offerings of securities, including Regulation D, Regulation S, Rule 144A private placements and security token offerings (STOs). Mr. Mercer also represents both public and private companies in United States and cross-border mergers and acquisitions across a wide variety of industries in asset sales, stock sales, mergers, triangular mergers, and other business combinations.
From 1999 to 2004, Mr. Mercer was general counsel and chief financial officer of a Nasdaq-listed telecommunications software company.
- Represented Electro Rent Corporation, a Nasdaq-listed equipment rental company in its $384 million sale to Platinum Equity and going private transaction.
- U.S. counsel to Capital & Regional plc. a London Stock Exchange listed owner and operator of regional shopping centers in connection with a £165 million placing of securities.
- Represented Vapestick Holdings Limited, a UK based developer of electronic cigarettes, in its sale to Victory Electronic Cigarettes Corporation, a US based publicly traded company, in $70 million transaction involving cash and common stock.
- U.S. counsel to Dexion Capital plc as underwriter and placement agent in connection with £130 million initial public offering of Chenavari Capital Solutions, a registered closed end investment fund on the Specialists Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Represented National Technical Systems, Inc., a Nasdaq listed provider of certification and testing services, in its $365 million sale to Aurora Capital Group and going private transaction.
- Represented Micro Focus International plc, a London Stock Exchange listed multinational software and information technology company in is acquisition of the Orbix, Orbacus and Artix software product lines from Progress Software Corporation.
- U.S. counsel to Asia Green Agriculture Corporation, a Chinese based manufacturer of organic bamboo and other food products, in its alternative public offering via reverse merger and concurrent PIPE financing.
- Represented shareholders of Intelligent Automation Corporation, a developer of computer systems for military helicopters, in $82 million sale of stock to Honeywell International, Inc.
- Representation of ReEnergy Group plc, an AIM-listed U.K. company in the acquisition various U.S.-based companies and technologies.
- Counsel to American Health Properties Inc., an NYSE-listed REIT in purchases of a number of hospital properties and related assets.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 1989
- M.B.A., California State University, Fullerton, 1986
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1983
Admissions : California
- Member, Corporate Directors Forum, 2007-2008
- San Diego Corporate Finance Council, Member 2003 – 2007, Program Chair, 2005-2007
- San Diego Telecommunications Council, Member, 2003
Rate : $$$