James B. Monroe, chair of Finnegan and former managing partner, is experienced in all aspects of intellectual property law. He focuses on U.S. district court and appellate litigation and has been lead counsel for numerous matters involving U.S. patent rights. In particular, he has extensive litigation experience involving the Hatch-Waxman Act governing the approval of pharmaceutical products.
James has also represented clients in trade dress, unfair competition, and antitrust matters. He has presented cases before courts, mediators, and arbitrators. He counsels domestic and international clients regarding U.S. intellectual property law by providing infringement, validity, enforceability and clearance opinions, and by advising them in licensing, antitrust, due diligence, and IP portfolio matters.
James also advises clients regarding the interplay between the U.S. patent laws and the process of obtaining FDA approval to market pharmaceutical products and medical devices. James’s practice encompasses a wide array of technologies with a focus on the pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnology and mechanical arts.
He has assisted clients in the fields of pharmaceutical products, industrial chemicals, beverage compositions, food products, packaging materials, photochemistry, petroleum processing, biofuels, alloys, paper products, glass making, and medical devices.
James lectures often regarding the protection of U.S. intellectual property rights, with an emphasis on Hatch-Waxman issues. He also has served as an adjunct professor in the area of patent litigation. He has been recognized as a leading patent litigator by various publications, including Intellectual Asset Management, LMG Life Sciences, and The Legal 500 U.S., which also recognized him for patent portfolio management and licensing.
In addition to his role as chair, James serves as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He previously led the firm’s chemical practice group and served as a recruiting partner.
- George Washington University, National Law Center J.D., 1991
- Washington University B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, Hon. Giles S. Rich
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (past-chair, Awards Committee; past-vice-chair, Young Lawyers Committee)
- American Bar Association (Sections on Litigation and Intellectual Property)
- Virginia Bar Association (Sections on Litigation and Intellectual Property)
- District of Columbia Bar Association (Sections on Litigation, and Intellectual Property)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Rate : $$$