James Duffy is a partner in the firm’s New York office and focuses his practice on international arbitration and related litigation. He has extensive experience formulating global dispute resolution strategies for clients facing multi-jurisdictional international disputes and has represented clients across a range of industries in international arbitrations administered under the ICC, DIAC, JAMS, GAFTA, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules in the US, Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
He also enjoys a comprehensive understanding of the interaction between courts and arbitration and has represented clients before US state and federal courts in litigation seeking prospective relief in aid of arbitration, actions under 28 USC § 1782 to obtain evidence in support of foreign tribunals and proceedings to enforce arbitral awards.
Mr. Duffy has substantial emerging market dispute resolution experience and practiced as a foreign legal consultant in the Dubai office of an international law firm from 2008 to 2009.
His international arbitration practice has a strong geographic focus on the MENA region, the Indian sub-continent and east Asia, and Mr. Duffy has substantial industry knowledge in the energy, life sciences and technology sectors. Before entering private practice, Mr. Duffy served as a law clerk to a federal judge in the Eastern District of New York from 2001 to 2002.
- St. John’s University, School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2001)
- Colgate University (B.A.) (1998)
- New York~United States (2003)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- Dubai International Financial Centre Court~United Arab Emirates (2008)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2007)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2006)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- NYSBA (International Section)
- ABA (International Law & Practice Section)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- ICC Commission on Arbitration & ADR – Member
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration – Advisory Board Member
Rate : $$$