James E. Phillips is a trial lawyer and the deputy practice team leader of the Product Liability and Toxic Tort team. James practices in the areas of complex commercial litigation and product liability litigation matters, serving clients in the oil and gas, manufacturing, construction, and other industries. His work also includes litigation involving catastrophic injuries and death.
James has a seasoned background of trial experience, which he utilizes in his pursuit of results for his clients. He focuses on the details important to his clients in order to create a practical, solutions-oriented approach to their issues, while also addressing their ultimate business goals.
- Involved in representing Irving H. Picard, Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, in connection with BakerHostetler’s role as court-appointed counsel.
- Served as first chair defending a sports automobile manufacturer in a breach of warranty case alleging defects in a luxury automobile. Presented and cross-examined each witness and delivered opening and closing arguments. Was responsible for managing motion practice. Tried to defense verdict.
- Served as first chair representing an automobile manufacturer in a breach of warranty case involving issues related to the Deceptive Trade Practices Act and common law negligence. Voir dired the jury panel, selected and struck jurors, delivered opening and closing arguments, and presented and cross-examined witnesses.
- Served as second chair in a complex commercial dispute in federal court involving First and Fourteenth Amendment issues related to the city’s sign code. Presented and cross-examined witnesses and managed motion practice. Received a verdict in favor of the client, resulting in changes to the sign code.
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Consumer Law Task Force
- Minority Opportunities in Legal Profession Committee
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2007
- B.A., Political Science, Texas A&M University, 2004, Terry Scholar
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 2008
Rate : $$$$