James S. Seevers, Jr.’s practice focuses on fund formation and other alternative asset investment and management transactions. Jim represents clients in a broad range of alternative asset investment transactions, with a particular emphasis on private fund formations, private equity, joint ventures, real estate capital markets, and related matters.
Jim regularly represents private investment funds and their sponsors in all aspects of their businesses, including formations, structurings, offerings, investments, acquisitions, financings, divestitures and regulatory compliance matters.
He advises institutional investors, including governmental and other benefit plans, on investments in private investment funds and similar joint ventures. Jim also represents a variety of real estate investment vehicles, including REITs, with respect to securities offerings, fund formations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, securities laws compliance and corporate governance.
Jim has been recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous business and legal publications, including Chambers USA. In addition to his work on behalf of clients, he has served as an adjunct professor on private equity topics at Washington and Lee University School of Law.
- a New York-based real estate private equity firm with respect to investments in real estate operating companies and general partner capital programs, including with urban redevelopment, multifamily acquisition and development, industrial and medical office platforms;
- a Dallas-based private equity firm in formation and offering of four private equity funds and related vehicles with more than combined $1.3 billion of capital commitments;
- a New York-based real estate fund manager with respect to a minority investment in its fund management business;
- a New York-based residential mortgage investment team in connection with their transition to a separate firm and the creation of several private investment funds to invest in residential mortgage assets;
- a Dallas-based private equity firm in the formation of a $225 million lower middle market private equity fund and related firm reorganization;
- a Chicago-based private equity firm in the formation of a $125 million lower middle market private equity fund;
- a Chicago-based private equity firm in establishing a new asset management platform and structuring and forming a $530 million private investment fund to acquire residential mortgage servicing rights;
- a New York-based asset management firm in structuring, offering and closing a private investment fund to invest in single family homes on a national scale, including implementation of a REIT structure to accommodate offshore and tax exempt investors;
- senior executives in founding a New York-based asset management platform and negotiating terms with hedge fund and private equity fund investors;
- a private equity advisory and fund of funds firm in establishing customized fund of funds for institutional investors; and
- a NYSE-listed hospitality REIT in a variety of public and private capital markets transactions raising aggregate funds in excess of $1 billion, including a joint venture with Chinese investors for six Manhattan hotels valued in excess of $500 million.
- JD, Washington and Lee University School of Law, magna cum laude; Editor in Chief, Washington and Lee Law Review; Order of the Coif, 1997
- BA, University of Virginia, 1992
- Law Alumni Council, Washington and Lee University School of Law (2011 – present)
- Board of Directors, Families Forward (2010 – present)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Henrico Police Athletic League (2007 – present)
Rate : $$$