James E. Thomas focuses his practice on regulatory and transactional matters relating to the financial services industry. He counsels investment advisers, registered investment companies and their trustees, and hedge funds and other private investment vehicles on all aspects of their operations.
He has considerable experience in organizing and advising registered investment companies employing alternative investment strategies. James is also an experienced adviser to public and private companies in the financial services and other industries in a variety of matters, including debt and equity offerings, mergers and acquisitions and investment transactions.
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1997; Book Notes Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Technology
- AB, summa cum laude, Dartmouth College, 1994; Phi Beta Kappa
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, 1997
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association, Co-Chair, Investment Companies and Advisers Committee (2008-2011)
- Represents Blackstone Alternative Asset Management in connection with the organization and on-going operation of its registered investment companies, the Blackstone Alternative Alpha Funds and Blackstone Alternative Multi-Manager Fund.
- Advised Virtus Investment Advisers in connection with a portfolio manager “lift-out” transaction and the related restructuring of its advisory business.
- Represented the Putnam Funds and their independent Trustees in connection with Great-West Lifeco Inc.’s $3.9 billion acquisition of Putnam Investments, which resulted in a change of control of the Funds’ investment adviser, Putman Investment Management, LLC.
- Regularly advises clients regarding acquisitions, dispositions, and other transactions in the financial services industry.
- Has organized and represented a number of hedge funds of funds registered under the Investment Company Act.
Rate : $$$