James Romney Tucker Jr. partners closely with clients to develop innovative and comprehensive strategies to achieve their federal policy objectives. He manages all facets of issue campaigns including building and leading teams to undertake lobbying, third party engagement and communications. In addition to substantive knowledge, he maintains a strong network on Capitol Hill and in the administration and closely monitors the ever-evolving political landscape in order to better advance clients’ engagement in the policy making process.
Prior to joining the firm in 1999, Jamie served as legislative counsel to Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC) and also served as an aide to former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich in 1996 and Sen. Paul D. Coverdell (R-GA) from 1993 to 1994.Jamie also has significant political experience, having worked on four presidential campaigns as well as a number of Senate and congressional campaigns.
- Provides strategic advice and persuasive advocacy for clients in regulated industries to achieve policy outcomes.
- More than 25 years of government relations experience developing and implementing strategies to solve complex legislative and regulatory policy challenges.
- Manage the federal policy initiatives on behalf of a national trade association; serving as the primary advocate on the client’s behalf before Congress and key agencies in the executive branch and effectively positioning the client as a recognized stakeholder on relevant policy debates.
- Advised a client for the successful inclusion of its policy objectives in a federal rule making and the introduction of corresponding legislation.
- On behalf of a foreign embassy, lobbied successfully for the enactment of legislation to modify that country’s treatment under certain U.S. law.
- Developed and implemented a strategy to provide political support to a government contractor’s federal procurement bid.
- Advised a multi-national corporation on leveraging political support in certain international forums.
- Advise clients on the political action committee priorities and compliance matters.
- Regularly advise clients on “bet the company” issues including: Congressional investigations; sensitive mergers and acquisitions (M&A), including those with antitrust and the Committee of Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) review; and bankruptcy reorganization.
- Led the creation of a comprehensive government relations function for an electric utility including the development of the substantive policy goals and the comprehensive strategy to advance the client’s policy objective. Managed the process to identify and retain various professionals to support the issue campaign.
- Akin Gump Partnership Acceptance Committee.
- Harvard Law School Executive Education Partner Leadership Program, 2015.
- J.D., Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law, 1997
- B.A., Washington & Lee University, 1992
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$