James Ward is an experienced trial attorney who focuses on energy, product liability, and complex commercial disputes. He represents national and multinational companies in single-plaintiff cases, class actions, MDLs, and other coordinated proceedings in state and federal courts throughout the country. Joe is admitted to practice in California and Georgia.
Joe frequently represents large electric utilities in state and federal courts and private arbitration. He has also litigated product liability disputes involving pharmaceuticals, tobacco, lead paint, off-road vehicles, metering equipment, and many other consumer products.
A significant portion of Joe’s practice involves complex commercial and business disputes, and matters involving allegations of fraud, catastrophic personal injury, environmental violations, unconstitutional discrimination, wrongful termination, trade secret misappropriation, and securities violations.
Joe is proud to have handled immigration, special education, child care, and civil rights disputes on a pro bono basis throughout his career for Immigration Equality, Public Counsel (Los Angeles), Atlanta Legal Aid, and the Public International Law & Policy Group.
- Pepperdine University School of Law (JD) (2004)
- University of California at Santa Barbara (BA) (2001)
- California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- Georgia~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia~United States
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association – Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented a major California public utility company in numerous multimillion-dollar contract disputes involving long-term power purchase agreements.
- Tried a multimillion-dollar tax refund case in Nevada state court on behalf of a major California public utility company.
- Represented a major electric utility company in the Southeast in a multibillion-dollar fraudulent conveyance lawsuit in Georgia federal court.
- Represented a large manufacturer in the nationwide defense of product liability and personal injury lawsuits involving its off-road vehicle.
- Represented a private equity fund in high-stakes arbitration against a former employee.
Rate : $$$