James C. Winton is a litigator who focuses his practice on maritime law, liquid pipeline transportation and general commercial litigation. With more than 35 years of experience, Jim brings a developed understanding of his clients’ industries to his representation.
His dedication to each matter enables Jim to effectively address his clients’ concerns in a way that not only solves immediate issues but prevents the exacerbation of future difficulties.
Jim has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2009 in the area of admiralty and maritime law. He teaches a general maritime law course at the University of Houston Law Center.
- Served as lead attorney in a federal court case for a drilling contractor client. The contractor sued an operator to recover unpaid day rates against a declaration of force majeure following The Macondo Prospect. Defeated a $27.1 million counterclaim for breach of contract and recovered on claim.
- Foreclosed on a First Preferred Ship Mortgage on a vessel against defenses of estoppel and waiver.
- Represented a Florida buyer of cargo of methyl ethyl ketone suing a Taiwanese seller for off-spec cargo carried by the vessel.
- Defeated a Rule B Writ of Attachment against funds conditionally posted by a client relating to the international purchase, sale and transportation of iron ore.
- Acquired easements by negotiation and condemnation on properties across three rural counties in order to allow construction of a pipeline in time to meet contractual obligations and avoid penalties.
- Represented a major manufacturer of heavy and medium trucks in national class actions alleging breach of franchise agreements.
- Represented a number of clients on insurance coverage issues. Successfully defended findings by a trial court of coverage in two cases at the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals under additional insured clauses.
- Maritime Law Association of the United States: Proctor Member
- Federal Bar Association: Southern District of Texas Chapter
- Board of Directors (2002 to 2008)
- Chapter President (2005)
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Legal Protection Plan: Board of Directors (2006 to 2011)
- State Bar of Texas Insurance Trust: Board of Trustees (2009 to present)
- State Bar of Texas, Elected Member of Board of Directors (2002 to 2005)
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 1977, magna cum laude, Law Review Editor
- B.A., Political Science, University of Southern California, 1974, cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
Rate : $$$$