Jami A. Gekas is a partner and intellectual property litigation lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP, where she focuses on an array of advertising, marketing, copyright and trademark issues.
A key focus of her practice is brand enforcement and she represents clients in adversary proceedings involving false advertising, unfair competition, and trademark, copyright and patent infringement.
Ms. Gekas is a member of the Northern District of Illinois’ Trial Bar, and has obtained favorable results in numerous federal district and appellate courts; she recently served as lead trial counsel in a trademark infringement matter, which resulted in a jury verdict in her client’s favor.
Ms. Gekas is also experienced in the clearance of brand names, trade identities and advertising copy; obtaining federal registration for copyrights and trademarks; drafting and negotiating a multitude of licensing and promotional agreements; and helping clients implement promotions and new media campaigns. She is a member of the firm’s IP Litigation and Trademark, Copyright & Advertising Practices.
Ms. Gekas’ practice includes:
- Litigating intellectual property disputes involving trademarks, trade dress, false advertising, cybersquatting/domain names, unfair competition, patents and copyrights in a variety of federal district and appellate courts
- Intellectual property and brand enforcement matters in the nature of domain name recovery; takedown notices; drafting and responding to pre-litigation “cease and desist” letters; and negotiating licenses and settlement agreements
- Managing domestic and foreign trademark portfolios for clients in a variety of industries (including consumer products, financial services, e-commerce, travel services, design, managed care, consulting and not-for-profit organizations); overseeing trademark clearance, prosecution, licensing and policing; and representing clients in connection with ex parte and inter partes Trademark Trial & Appeal Board proceedings
- Advising clients on advertising/marketing clearance, substantiation, and compliance with laws related to trademarks, copyrights, defamation, disparagement, rights of publicity, telemarketing, rebates/incentives, internet marketing, green marketing claims, unsolicited email, privacy and other consumer protection laws
- Coordinating client internal software audits and responding to copyright licensing inquiries from software industry organizations (BSA, SIIA)
Ms. Gekas earned a J.D. from the University of Michigan. She holds a B.A. from Emory University.
Ms. Gekas is admitted to practice in Illinois; before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh, Ninth and Federal Circuits; and in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois, Western District of Wisconsin, District of Colorado, Central District of Illinois, and Southern District of Indiana.
Rate : $$$