Janet Kwuon is a member of the Life Sciences Health Industry Group, practicing in the area of product liability litigation. Her litigation practice focuses on the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, and the defense of complex product liability cases as national and local counsel in state and federal courts, including numerous class actions and multi-district litigations.
Representative clients include top ten pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Janet also serves as a member of Reed Smith’s Executive Committee, the Firm’s global governing board.
Janet also has an extensive non-litigation client counseling practice, which includes corporate internal investigations, government investigations in the fraud and abuse area, corrective actions, compliance with FDA regulations, assessment of promotional materials and medical education, clinical trial contracts, adverse event reporting, standard operating procedures, U.S. and foreign regulatory audits, development of best practices for electronic data management and e-discovery in U.S. and foreign jurisdictions, litigation risk assessment, document retention policies, foreign data privacy laws and corporate quality systems training.
As a former Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney, Janet has significant trial experience. In the civil arena, she has been a member of trial teams for defendants in the Silicone Gel Breast Implant, Diet Drug and Heart Valve litigations.
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1989, J.D., Moot Court Honors Board
- University of California, Berkeley, 1985, B.A., Political Science
Professional Admissions & Qualifications :
- District of Columbia
Professional Affiliations :
- Los Angeles Children’s Chorus (Board Member, 2013-2015)
- Sedona Conference Working Groups on Electronic Document Retention and Production and International Electronic Information Management and Disclosure, 2007-present
- American Bar Association (Tort and Insurance Practice Committee 2001-2003)
- Defense Research Institute, Member (1996 to present); Speaker at Annual Meeting (2002)
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (Board Member 2002-2003)
- Defended clients from product claims, including mass tort claims, and assisted with related settlements, in the United States and Canada
- Representation of railroad companies in personal injury actions, including Frasure v. Union Pacific Railroad Company, 782 F. Supp. 477 (9th Cir. 1991), which resulted in a published opinion granting summary judgment
Rate : $$$$