Janine Panchok-Berry’s practice focuses on complex litigation and transactions involving insurance and environmental law. Janine represents clients in state and federal courts focusing on complex commercial litigation involving securities fraud and insurance and reinsurance coverage.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Janine completed a clerkship with Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman of the New York Court of Appeals, the highest court in New York. Janine graduated from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2014.
During law school, she worked for the Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, and a non-profit environmental law firm. She advised clients in disputes over water rights in California’s Central Valley and litigated cases brought pursuant to CERCLA, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, the Clean Air Act, and the Clean Water Act.
Before law school, Janine worked at an environmental law firm where she analyzed state and federal environmental agency investigations of the oil refining and power plant industry, reviewed Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act permits, and met with regulators to assess potential liabilities and determine remediation projects.
- Defended excess insurer in large coverage dispute involving environmental remediation for oil and gas spills impacting drinking water supplies.
- Counseled insurer on liabilities arising out of environmental claims brought against the policyholder’s bankruptcy estate.
- Represented investors in affirmative litigation against general partner and investment adviser for breach of fiduciary duty to investors.
- Defended excess insurer in coverage dispute involving toxic tort claims.
- Counseled clients on the environmental liabilities of hydraulic fracturing re-injection wells.
- Advised a major insurer on its coverage liabilities stemming from a third-party’s acquisition of an insured with environmental liabilities imposed under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA).
- New Jersey
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- University of California at Berkeley School, J.D., 2014: Finalist, Skadden’s Halloum Business Negotiation Competition held in partnership with Haas School of Business
- New York University, B.A., Political Science, 2005
- Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman, New York Court of Appeals
Rate : $$$