Janis M. Meyer focuses her practice on professional responsibility, risk management and professional liability law, with particular emphasis on attorneys and law firms. Having served as the general counsel of a global firm, Ms. Meyer is familiar with a broad spectrum of professional liability, human resource, and other risk management issues arising in law firms.
During her career, Ms. Meyer has also represented and advised clients in a variety of industries, including banking, financial products and insurance. Ms. Meyer began her legal career at White & Case, where she was an associate and then partner in the Litigation Department.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson in January 2015, she was a partner and the General Counsel of Dewey & LeBoeuf and its predecessor, Dewey Ballantine. She was a member of the two-person wind-down committee that oversaw Dewey & LeBoeuf’s bankruptcy filing in 2012 and the subsequent wind-down of the firm.
Ms. Meyer is a Special Professor of Law at The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University where she teaches “The Practical Aspects of Lawyering” and Legal Ethics. Ms. Meyer clerked for the Honorable George C. Pratt in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Professional Affiliations :
- Law360, Legal Ethics Editorial Advisory Board, 2016 – Present
- New York City Bar Association
- Committee on Professional Discipline, 2018 – Present
- Professional Ethics Committee, 2014 – 2018
- J.D., with distinction, Hofstra University School of Law, 1981
- M.A., Ohio State University
- B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$$