Janis E. Susalla Foley represents clients from a wide range of industries. She focuses her practice primarily in the areas of asbestos litigation management and employment law, where she remains hands-on while utilizing internal practices developed over time that emphasize a cost-effective approach.
On the employment side of her practice, Janis handles employment litigation defense. She is an effective and efficient advocate for her clients, focusing on results while providing prompt and regular communication to both clients and colleagues. Prior to joining the firm, Janis served as law clerk to the Honorable Nicholas J. Walinski of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Taking a well-rounded approach to solving problems, she advises clients on employment law compliance, conducts employee investigations, assists clients with employment policies, including personnel forms and employee handbooks, and offers management training seminars for clients. She also serves as a mediator in employment matters.
In addition, Janis serves as national discovery counsel for asbestos litigation, concentrating on all aspects of discovery. Hardworking and organized, she has significant experience managing a large document repository, developing discovery responses, assisting with corporate product witness deposition preparation, and helping counsel around the country with defense strategy.
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Toledo College of Law, Order of the Coif, 1986
- B.A., cum laude, Western Michigan University, 1980
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Ohio, 1986
- Michigan, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 1987
- Colacci v. Bimbo Bakeries, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio (2004). One of two defense attorneys in age discrimination case.
- Crews v. In Home Health, Inc., United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania (2001). Lead defense attorney in wage and hour class action.
- Etter v. American Family Life Insurance Company, Erie County Common Pleas Court (2008). One of two attorneys defending disability insurance coverage claim.
- Mays v. Norplas, Inc., United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (2001). Lead attorney defending claims of race discrimination against employer.
- Palmer v. Health Care Manor Care, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2000). Defended appeal after obtaining summary judgment for employer in discrimination case.
- Prater v. Owens-Illinois Closure, Inc., United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (2006). Lead counsel defending the employer against Family & Medical Leave Act and retaliation claims.
- Summer Thompson v. Air-Way Manufacturing Co., United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (2007). Lead counsel who negotiated settlement in pregnancy discrimination action.
- Thakur v. HCR Manor Care Services, Lucas County Common Pleas Court (2008). One of several lead counsels representing the nursing home and individual care-givers in resident death case.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Toledo Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Ohio Supreme Court Commission on the Certification of Attorneys as Specialists
- Certified by OSBA as Specialist in Labor & Employment Law (01/01/2003-12/31/2012)
- Former Board Member, Greater Toledo Urban League
- Member, OSBA Labor & Employment Section Council (2002 – present)
- Volunteer, St. Richard Church
Rate : $$$$