Jared Gerber’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on securities litigation and other actions filed by shareholders. Jared joined the firm in 2007 and became a partner in 2016.
Jared has frequently litigated claims under the Securities Act, the Exchange Act, the Investment Advisors Act, the Williams Act, state blue sky laws, and the common law in both federal and state courts, and at both the trial and appellate levels.
- Petitioners in California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) v. ANZ Securities Inc. et al., in obtaining a landmark ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court holding that class-action tolling does not apply to the Securities Act’s statute of repose, which affirmed the absolute nature of statutes of repose for securities issuers and underwriters, as well as corporate officers and directors, and provided defendants with greater certainty about the scope of potential opt-outs from securities class actions.
- Petrobras in a securities fraud class action and dozens of related individual actions in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Over 40 domestic and international banks that underwrote securities issued by Lehman Brothers in the 18 months prior to its collapse, resulting in a $417 million settlement of a class action arising out of the Lehman offerings, the dismissal of approximately 10 opt-out cases, and the settlement of the remaining cases.
- ING in earning the dismissal of Securities Act claims brought on behalf of investors in three separate offerings of securities and in successfully arguing for the affirmance of the dismissal of one of those offerings on appeal before the Second Circuit.
- Member, Securities Litigation Committee, New York City Bar Association
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Brown University, A.B., 2004
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Third and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$$