Jason Russell is the leader of the Los Angeles Litigation Group and co-head of the West Coast litigation practice, representing a wide variety of clients in commercial litigation disputes in federal and state courts throughout the country as well as in international forums.
Mr. Russell has earned a reputation as an adept litigator with particular experience litigating some of the most high-profile cases in the sports and entertainment field, as well as complex class actions.
Mr. Russell has extensive experience in and takes an innovative approach to all aspects of complex litigation matters, ranging from jury trials and appellate arguments to mediation and arbitration. Mr. Russell’s representations include a diverse number of high-profile disputes, including, among others:
- Credit Acceptance Corporation in obtaining summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California on antitrust claims by Westlake Services, LLC seeking approximately $1 billion in damages arising from the allegedly fraudulent acquisition of a patent that Westlake claimed precluded it from competing in the indirect auto lending market. The Daily Journal named the decision one of the Top Verdicts of 2017.
- Christie’s, Inc., as lead counsel, in obtaining the dismissal of a putative nationwide class action in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, by convincing the court to hold that the California Resale Royalties Act (CRRA) was unconstitutional. The CRRA previously had withstood several legal challenges until it was struck down in this case. The dismissal was affirmed by an en banc panel of the Ninth Circuit.
- Priceline.com in obtaining the 2017 reversal in the Fifth Circuit of an $84 million judgment for occupancy taxes allegedly owed for facilitating the renting of hotel rooms in 175 Texas municipalities. The court reversed and vacated the judgment, adopting all of Priceline’s arguments that an online travel company could not be liable for hotel occupancy taxes.
- the National Basketball Association in connection with its imposition of discipline against former owner Donald Sterling and in defending the NBA against claims brought by Mr. Sterling.
- Red Bull North America and its corporate parent in the defense of multiple putative class actions across the country and in responding to congressional investigations into the energy drink industry.
- Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. as lead counsel in defense of $360 million in claims by the litigation trustee for Core Media, Inc.
- The National Football League in its defense of a $1 billion civil action brought by the Oakland Raiders, which resulted in a defense verdict for the NFL on all claims.
- True Religion Apparel, as lead counsel, in defense of a putative nationwide class action challenging the labeling and advertising of the client’s apparel. Mr. Russell negotiated a very favorable resolution of the action.
Mr. Russell is actively involved in Skadden’s pro bono efforts, supervising junior associates and personally representing a number of individuals in criminal defense matters. He also serves as co-chair of the Los Angeles office’s Hiring Committee.
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law, 1993 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Columbia Business Law Review)
- A.B., Occidental College, 1990 (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Advisory Board Member, Facing History and Ourselves (2007–Present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Los Angeles
- Board Member, Planned Parenthood Los Angeles (2012–Present)
Rate : $$$$