A seasoned intellectual property litigator and appellate advocate, Jason F. Hoffman has been involved in numerous patent cases, with eight jury trial victories, including four defense verdicts in the Eastern District of Texas, and eight victories at the Federal Circuit.
He frequently advises clients with respect to complex technologies, patents and post-grant proceedings, and regularly negotiates and drafts intellectual property-related agreements.
His exposure to the courtroom came early in his legal career and his interest in intellectual property litigation is reflected in his frequent writings and media appearances on the topic.
- Represented a plaintiff cable company in a patent infringement matter in Philadelphia involving text messaging. The jury returned a verdict of infringement and awarded damages.
- Represented a defendant clothing retailer in a patent infringement matter in Marshall, Texas, involving its gift card system. The jury returned a verdict that the asserted patent was not infringed.
- Represented a defendant bookseller in a patent infringement matter in Marshall, Texas, involving its gift card system. The jury returned a verdict that the asserted patent was not infringed.
- Represented a defendant manufacturer in a patent infringement matter in Marshall, Texas, involving high-voltage electrical connectors. The jury returned a verdict that the two asserted patents were invalid for anticipation and obviousness.
- Represented a plaintiff software manufacturer in a patent infringement matter in Richmond, Virginia. The jury returned an award of $62.3 million and found that the defendant willfully infringed the patent.
- Represented an appellant gift card exchange company in a patent infringement matter. The client obtained confirmation by the Federal Circuit that its 52 reexamined claims were valid.
- Represented an appellee gift card program manager in a declaratory judgment matter. The client obtained affirmance of invalidity of a patent relating to point-of-sale transactions.
- Represented a defendant membership warehouse in a patent infringement case relating to gift card technology. The client obtained summary judgment of noninfringement.
- Represented a plaintiff casino in a trademark and domain name dispute. The client obtained relief through the court’s granting of a motion for summary judgment.
- Bethesda Arts & Entertainment District, Inc. (2006 to 2010), Member, Board of Directors
- Bethesda Urban Partnership, Inc. (2000 to 2005), Vice Chair, Member, Board of Directors
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1997, cum laude
- B.A., Brandeis University, 1994, magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$