Jason E. Manning is a commercial trial attorney with a focus on defending consumer-facing companies against class action and individual consumer protection claims. He has particular experience representing clients in mortgage- and auto finance-related litigation in state and federal courts.
Jason has a national practice focusing on financial services litigation, complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation, with trial, appeals and arbitration experience in Washington, D.C., Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and West Virginia.
He has deep experience in representing national banks, mortgage investors and loan servicers in class actions and individual litigation arising under federal and state laws. His practice includes litigation defense and compliance advice regarding FDCPA, TCPA, TILA, FCRA, RESPA, EFTA, RICO and various state consumer UDAP statutes. He has counseled clients on responding to CFPB, state attorneys general and state banking department inquiries.
Jason has represented Fortune 500 companies in trials, hearings, and depositions involving disputes related to contracts, business torts, patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
Representative Matters :
- Obtained summary judgment in a state consumer UDAP class action based on federal preemption under the National Bank Act and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency regulations.
- Won summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, in a class action alleging $11 million in loan servicing violations under the WVCCPA based on the statute of limitations and acceleration of the debt.
- Resolved numerous putative FDCPA class actions alleging debt collection violations arising from dunning letters.
- Obtained summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, on origination and servicing claims under the WVCCPA.
- Obtained defense verdicts after trial for national bank and debt servicing companies in Georgia, Virginia and West Virginia.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Virginia Bar Association
- West Virginia State Bar
Professional Experience : Judicial Extern to the Honorable Kenneth F. Ripple of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Moot Court Best Speaker Award, 2003, Article Editor, Notre Dame Law Review
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude, Gamma Beta Phi, Pi Sigma Alpha, Lambda Pi Eta, 2000
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, New York, New Jersey, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Rate : $$$