Jason Cooper is co-chair of Alston & Bird’s Intellectual Property Area, with emphasis in mechanical, manufacturing, and medical device technologies, and is also the immediate past chair of the firm’s Partners’ Committee. Jason manages patent portfolios of various domestic and international clients and helps monetize those portfolios.
He counsels clients on avoiding the infringement of others’ patents and opines on infringement and/or validity of individual patents or advises on strategy for avoiding others’ patent portfolios.
Jason regularly prepares and prosecutes patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is experienced in all aspects of ex parte and inter partes patent practice, including examiner interviews, third-party submissions, appeals, interferences, reexaminations and reissues, inter partes reviews (IPR), covered business method reviews (CBM), and instructing foreign patent attorneys in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Jason’s practice is recognized in Intellectual Asset Management’s IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners as “outstanding in every respect – proficiency, knowledge, client communications” and “a real go-to guy,” and an “excellent team organizer.”
Jason has completed the Harvard Law School Executive Education Program, Leadership in Law Firms, and serves on the advisory board of the Center for Intellectual Property Research at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
- Indiana University – Bloomington (J.D., 1992)
- Purdue University (B.S.M.E., 1988)
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Formerly a Rapporteur of the Commission d’Étude et de Travail for IP litigation and enforcement of the Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI) and member of the Council of the U.S. Section of FICPI.
- Named to several prominent professional recognition lists including The Best Lawyers in America©, The Legal 500 U.S., IP Stars from Managing IP, and The World’s Leading Patent Professionals from Intellectual Asset Management.
Rate : $$$$