Jason Scott defends companies against product liability claims, especially issues arising in the fire suppression and alarm services industry. He also handles cases related to fire investigation, fire loss and HVAC systems. Recently, he has also handled matters involving the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
He helps his clients solve problems however he can, whether he immerses himself in a field to better understand it before litigation begins or joins a case at the eleventh hour for trial.
Jason’s litigation work has included claims of wrongful death, personal injury and property damage, and he has helped his clients sort through complex issues related to insurance and indemnity.
Much of the law in the fire suppression and alarm services industry has been developed by Jason’s litigation team during his time at Shook, and he uses his in-depth knowledge of the field to advise his clients on risk-mitigating techniques to avoid or minimize litigation.
Jason has also published articles and presented on how his clients can update contractual language that leverage recent developments in risk allocation and mitigation case law.
Jason is passionate about finding the best possible outcome for his clients, which has often meant creating an alternative billing solution to avoid unnecessary spending. He represents many of his clients on a flat-fee basis rather than using a billable hour framework.
His alternative fee arrangements align his interests with his clients: finding an optimal solution in less time and, if a settlement is necessary, for less money.
Jason manages all aspects of a lawsuit, including:
- pre-suit risk mitigation and analysis, including published articles providing compliance counsel;
- initial case triage and resolution determinations;
- dispositive motion practice;
- all aspects of discovery both written and deposition work;
- developing, retaining and presenting expert witnesses;
- trial presentation, including serving as first and second chair; and
- post-trial appellate review.
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law, 2008
- West Publishing Company Award for Outstanding Scholarly Accomplishment
- Student Clerk to Judge Charlie Atwell, Jackson County Circuit Court
- UMKC Legal Research and Writing Program, Teaching Assistant
- B.A., cum laude, Texas Christian University, 2005 (History and Religion)
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Rate : $$$