Jason M. Shargel has more than 35 years of experience in the private practice of corporate and securities law. Having begun his career in the SEC’s Enforcement Division, Jason’s practice includes mergers and acquisitions, as well as the representation of issuers and funds in venture capital, growth capital, and other private equity financings.
He has also represented issuers in a wide variety of public and private offerings of debt and equity securities. Among his honors, Jason has been named the M&A Lawyer of the Year in Philadelphia by Best Lawyers in America for 2016 and again for 2018.
He has also been selected by Best Lawyers in America from 2006 through 2018 in Philadelphia for Corporate Law and for Mergers and Acquisitions, as well as recognized as one of the top ten Corporate/M&A: Securities lawyers in Pennsylvania by Chambers & Partners USA for each year from 2007 through 2018.
Jason earned his law degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was an editor of the law review and a member of the Order of the Coif, and his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Columbia University. Following law school, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr. on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit.
- Represented eMarketer, Inc., the leading aggregator of information on trends in media and technology, in connection with its acquisition by one of the world’s largest digital publishers, Axel Springer, in a complex and reverse merger transaction for a purchase price of approximately $242 million.
- Represented two apparel manufacturers with domestic and Central American operations in their sale to an affiliate of Apollo Global Management, LLC which is forming an apparel supply chain company in connection with a strategic partnership with Nike.
- Represented investors in purchasing convertible preferred limited liability company interests in a business that utilizes food waste from supermarkets and other sources to produce fertilizer, animal feed, and other products.
- Represented Thalheimer Brothers, LLC, a large Philadelphia scrap metal company, in its sale to Audax Management Company, LLC, a private equity firm, which resulted in principals of Thalheimer owning a minority interest in the company.
- Represented Beachbody, LLC, a leading marketer of health and fitness programs and products (i.e., P90X, Insanity), in the growth capital investment by LNK Partners.
- Represented venture stage companies, including an online college guide, a marketer of fitness products, and a provider of televised traffic information, in capital raising and strategic partnering transactions.
- Represented a venture-backed specialized software business in the sale of its business to a private equity-backed strategic buyer.
- Served as legal counsel for the special committee of Resource Capital Corporation in its review of a request for a waiver of rights under a management agreement in connection with a strategic transaction involving the parent of its manager.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1977
- Columbia University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1974
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
- Honorable A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Rate : $$$$