Mr. Jason N. Smith is Co-Chair of the Washington, D.C. Litigation Practice Group. His practice focuses on the representation of owners, design-builders, design professionals, construction managers, and general contractors in all phases of the construction process. Mr. Smith’s pre-construction experience includes drafting and negotiating construction, construction management, and design agreements.
During the course of a project, Mr. Smith regularly assists clients with resolving design and construction issues to allow for project completion while preserving their rights. When disputes cannot be amicably resolved, Mr. Smith assists clients with pursing their rights through litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
His litigation experience includes all manner of construction and design disputes, including impact and delay claims, construction and design defects, differing site conditions, design negligence, terminations for default, change order and extra work disputes, requests for equitable adjustments, payment and performance bond claims, mechanics’ liens, prompt payment and conditional payment disputes, and bid protests. Mr. Smith has substantial experience arbitrating and litigating design and construction claims, with a proven track record of success.
He is an advocate for early case assessment and mediation, and has successfully resolved numerous claims through mediation. Mr. Smith has represented clients in state courts throughout the United States, federal courts, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the American Arbitration Association, and in several non-administered arbitrations.
Mr. Smith also has significant experience representing clients in complex insurance and commercial litigation. He has successfully litigated a myriad of complex commercial disputes relating to franchise agreements, commercial liability, patent infringement, intellectual property, technology claims, and employment-related disputes.
Mr. Smith has also filed and litigated declaratory judgment actions addressing the availability of insurance coverage under personal and commercial policies of insurance. Mr. Smith regularly prepares and presents seminars on legal issues related to the construction industry for various industry trade groups.
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law (2007)
- President, Student Bar Association’
- Honors: Dean’s Leadership Award recipient; William P. Cunningham Award for Exceptional Achievement and Service to the School of Law; Commencement Speaker for the University of Maryland, Baltimore
- B.A. in Political Science, University of Michigan (2002)
- Legislative and Legal Committee, Design Build Institute of America
- Past Member, Board of Directors, American Subcontractors Association, Baltimore, Maryland
- Baltimore City Bar Association (Bench/Bar Committee, Federal Practice Committee, Legislative Committee)
Rate : $$$$