Jason Zarrow is a litigator who focuses his practice on handling complex civil litigation matters, including class actions, mass torts, and appeals. Jason has written numerous appellate and trial court briefs on a wide range of subjects, and his experience spans multiple federal courts of appeals and district courts, as well as multiple state appellate and trial courts.
Jason also maintains an active pro bono practice, focusing on criminal and immigration-related matters. He is a member of the firm’s Consumer Class Actions, Products Liability and Mass Torts, and Appellate practice groups.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Jason was a law clerk for the Honorable Julia Smith Gibbons of the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Co-authored successful merits brief in Ayestas v. Davis, 138 S. Ct. 1080 (2018), which clarified the standard for receiving funding for investigative services in capital cases under 18 U.S.C. § 3599(f).
- Co-authored successful merits brief in China Agritech Inc. v. Resh, 138 S. Ct. 1800 (2018), which held that the tolling rule of American Pipe & Construction Co. v. Utah, 414 U.S. 538 (1974), does not apply to successive class actions.
- Argued and prevailed in the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in Sotnikau v. Lynch, which held that involuntary manslaughter in Virginia is not categorically a crime involving moral turpitude.
- Argued and prevailed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia in an immigration habeas case concerning whether the government’s prolonged detention of the petitioner contravened the INA and petitioner’s due process rights.
- Drafted successful appellate briefs in complex jurisdictional dispute before the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit.
- Drafted appellate briefs and petition for review en banc in products-liability appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Drafted amicus briefs in cases concerning the requirements for class certification and the standing of class representatives in multiple US courts of appeals.
- Drafted dispositive trial briefs in complex antitrust matter in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Drafted dispositive trial briefs in FTC action to enjoin a merger in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Drafted appellate briefs in New York State court insurance dispute.
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits
- US District Court, Central District of California
- Harvard University, J.D.: magna cum laude
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Economics and History: summa cum laude
- Honorable Julia Smith Gibbons, United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
Rate : $$$