Howard “Jay” Harrington is an associate in the Litigation Practice Group. Jay has broad experience in civil defense litigation. He handles disputes relating to business torts, breach of contract, general negligence claims, and fraudulent billing practices.
Jay also focuses his practice on premises liability litigation, wrongful death cases, and professional malpractice claims. Additionally, he has assisted clients with immigration matters. Jay has represented clients across a wide range of industries including insurance, transportation, healthcare, hospitality, and green energy.
Notable Work :
- Enforcement of Defaulted Loan: Represented a bank in the enforcement of a multimillion dollar (eight figure) loan in default secured by a fleet of tractor-trailers, real estate, and accounts receivable of a trucking company. Following aggressive litigation and collection actions, the borrower and guarantors agreed to a large financial settlement resulting in our client being paid all principal and substantial interest.
- Motor Vehicle Manufacturing Litigation: Represented the world’s largest manufacturer and leading supplier of recreational vehicles to the U.S. market, as well as recreational vehicle dealers, in defending against claims arising under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act and Florida’s Lemon Law relating to alleged vehicle defects and malfunctions. Obtained contested removal of the cases from Florida state court to federal court and enforcement of forum selection clauses requiring the transfer of cases to district courts encompassing counties where the manufacturer and dealer reside.
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty: Represented a limited partnership and current partner against a former partner and manager for breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, and money lent, and defended claims to rescind and expand the terms of a buy-out agreement, as part of three separate lawsuits and two consolidated appeals; assisted to resolve all lawsuits within six months by obtaining a favorable settlement.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2015, Dean’s List; Journal of International Law and Business, Editor
- B.A., University of Central Florida, Spanish, 2012, magna cum laude, National Merit Scholar
Bar Admissions : Florida
Professional Experience :
- Public Defender’s Office for the 18th Judicial Circuit, Intern
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Member
- Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Member
Rate : $$$