Jay Hughes is the managing partner of the Houston office. He advises public and private companies in the structuring, financing, negotiation and consummation of business acquisitions, distressed asset acquisitions, divestitures and mergers ranging in size from several million dollars to fifteen billion dollars.
He has represented borrowers in secured loan facilities involving multilender syndicates, and is frequently asked to advise clients regarding general corporate matters. He has concentrated his practice in the energy sector, with particular focus on oil and gas, solar and wind energy sources.
Jay regularly advises publicly traded and privately held energy companies on matters involving acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, project development, mineral conveyancing, joint development agreements, oil and gas leases and transactions associated with midstream operations.
While earning his undergraduate degree from the University of Richmond, Jay studied abroad at the Central American Institute for International Studies in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Representation of a client in private equity investment involving oil and gas well workovers in McMullen and Gonzales Counties, Texas.
- Represented oil field services manufacturing, fabrication, assembly and integration company in bolt-on acquisition of oilfield and marine drilling rig power control manufacturer.
- Represented acquirer in $4.4 billion acquisition plus the assumption of debt for an enterprise value of approximately $6 billion of public company target.
- Represented several affiliated coal companies in their approximately $960 million (cash and stock consideration) sale to a NYSE listed company.
- Represented utility in connection with purchase of approximately 543 MW nuclear facility in Wisconsin.
- Representation of a developer in the sale of a 300 MW wind project in Clay and Dickinson County, Iowa to a public utility company.
- Represented developer in the acquisition of a 360 MW wind farm in the north Texas Panhandle.
- Represented utility acquirer in acquisition of 17 MW utility scale solar project in King William County, VA.
- Representation of the developer in connection with the sale of a 150 MW wind project in Cameron County, Texas.
- Represented a leading provider of satellite-based global voice and data communication products and services for the aviation industry, in its sale to publicly traded buyer.
- Represented owner of a prominent, regional retail grocery chain in its asset sale to a publicly-held international retail grocery company.
- Represented global transportation industry manufacturer and supplier in Section 363 acquisition of trailer axle and suspension assembly manufacturer.
- The College of William & Mary, JD, Member, William & Mary Law Review, 2004
- University of Richmond, BS, BA, 1999
Admissions : Texas, Virginia
Rate : $$$$