Jay Russell Sever is a partner in the Insurance and Reinsurance group of Phelps Dunbar. He is also the Practice Coordinator for the Insurance and Reinsurance group in the New Orleans office. He serves as local, regional and national coverage counsel for both foreign and domestic insurance companies.
He counsels clients, manages disputes and tries cases involving a wide variety of insurance coverage issues, including matters arising from bad faith, construction defects claims, third-party liability claims, first-party claims, professional liability claims, crane and rigging claims, racing and competitive sport claims, entertainment claims, transportation claims, environmental claims, general and toxic tort claims, advertising, copyright and trademark claims, media liability claims, multiple-year trigger and allocation issues, marine liability claims, Louisiana direct action claims and numerous others.
In addition to handling cases in Louisiana and California courts in which he is admitted, Mr. Sever also has acted as lead counsel in cases pending in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Mr. Sever’s practice, both litigation and counseling, involves attorneys from all of Phelps Dunbar’s offices in the Gulf South and, where necessary, local counsel in states throughout the United States.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1991; Senior Notes and Comments Editor, Tulane Law Review
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
CLERKSHIP: Judicial Law Clerk to the Hon. F.A. Little, Jr., U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI, The Voice of the Defense Bar)
- Act as regional and coordinating coverage counsel for multiple domestic insurers, actively handling coverage counseling and litigation matters in multiple Southeastern and Southwestern states from the Carolinas to Oklahoma.
- Act as national coverage and coordinating counsel for domestic insurer, actively handling insurance coverage counseling and litigation matters nationwide.
- Assisted major domestic insurer in drafting manuscript wording for Well Out Of Control policies, Underground Resources and Equipment Coverage and Contractors Pollution Liability Coverage.
- Acted as coordinating counsel for domestic insurers and handled litigation in multiple states arising out of Chinese Drywall claims brought by thousands of claimants in Florida, Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama and Texas.
- Represented insurers of treated wood company in coverage litigation involving alleged injuries caused by chromated copper arsenic (U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida).
- Represented insurers of chemical pesticide manufacturer relative to claims for coverage of clean-up costs at multiple sites.
Rate : $$$