Jean L. Bertrand is a well-regarded strategic litigator and seasoned trial lawyer. Her 37 years of experience includes dozens of jury trials, several arbitrations, and multiple appellate arguments. As an archrival once said, “Jean knows her way around a courtroom.”
As a litigator, Jean is always looking for the winning solution. She focuses her practice primarily on commercial litigation, real estate litigation and toxic torts, drawing on her substantial trial and appellate experience to help her clients achieve successful outcomes. Extensively experienced in the administration of complex litigation, Jean’s clients benefit from her emphasis on cost-containment techniques.
Jean’s enviable record of wins ranges from commercial real estate cases to defenses of asbestos product liability cases to prosecuting insurance coverage cases.
Her peers have recognized her experience and deep bench of knowledge by naming her to leadership positions in the State Bar of California, Commercial Real Estate Women and the American College of Mortgage Attorneys. Jean is a thought leader who has written and spoken on various topics, including alternative fee arrangements and cost-containment solutions.
A founding attorney and former managing partner of Morgenstein & Jubelirer, Jean joined Schiff Hardin in 2007, when the two firms combined.
Jean joined Schiff Hardin when the firm combined with Morgenstein & Jubelirer in 2007. One of Morgenstein & Jubelirer’s founding attorneys, she served as the firm’s managing partner from 1984 to 1986 and again from 1993 to 1997. Prior to joining Morgenstein & Jubelirer, she practiced at Steinhart, Falconer & Morgenstein.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1978
- University of Michigan, B.A., History, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Regent
- Commercial Real Estate Women – San Francisco, Former Board of Directors Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- State Bar of California, Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation (2009-2011)
- State Bar of California, Real Property Law Section, Past Chair
- State Bar of California, Committee on Administration of Justice, Past Chair
- State Bar of California, Committee on Rules and Procedures of Court, Past Chair
Rate : $$$