Jean represents a diverse array of nonprofit organizations, including public charities, private foundations, social welfare organizations, and trade associations, on corporate, tax, and regulatory matters both domestically and internationally. She counsels on entity choice and formation, tax compliance, grantmaking, governance matters, executive compensation, and organizational structuring (e.g., subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures, and mergers).
Jean also advises clients on public and private partnerships, political intervention and lobbying, and program-and mission-related investments. A frequent speaker on matters pertaining to nonprofits, Jean has also represented organizations in connection with attorney general investigations and before the IRS.
- Counsel, 2013-2015; Associate, 2003-2012 – Patterson Belknap Webb &Tyler LLP, New York, N.Y.
- Law Clerk, Hon. Raymond J. Dearie, U.S. District Court, Brooklyn, N.Y., 2002-2003
- Legal Intern, East Bay Community Law Center, Berkeley, Calif., 2000
Professional & Community Activities:
- Committee on Tax Exempt Organizations, American Bar Association
- Committee on Nonprofit Organizations, New York City Bar Association
- Member, Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Committee, Eastern District of New York, 2011-2015
- Director, Center for Community Change, 2013-2016
- Director, Neighbors Together, 2009-2014
- Director, The Lower Eastside Girls Club of New York, 1999-2005
- Coro Fellow in Public Affairs, Coro New York Leadership Center, 1996-1997
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2002
- Articles Editor, Yale Human Rights and Development Law Journal
- Francis Wayland Prize in Negotiation
- B.A., Social Studies, Harvard University, 1996, magna cum laude
Rate : $$$