Jean-Paul Cart represents clients in complex business litigation matters in all varieties of business torts and commercial disputes, including consumer class actions, trademark infringement, securities fraud and derivative class actions, licensing and contract actions, insurance disputes, privacy litigation, ADA website accessibility and Proposition 65 claims, and other related commercial litigation. He also provides pre-litigation risk analysis and counseling to clients involved in complicated transactions.
Whether working to avoid litigation or preparing for trial, Jean-Paul approaches every matter from a strategic angle with his client’s business goals in sharp focus. Jean-Paul’s experience covers all aspects of litigation, from declaratory relief actions to nine-figure demands. He is regularly called upon to quickly learn new industries and areas of law, and wouldn’t have it any other way.
Prior to joining Schiff Hardin, Jean-Paul was a member of the business trial and litigation practice of an international law firm. He also previously served as law clerk for the Santa Ana Target Gang Unit of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
- Defeated class certification on behalf of product manufacturer facing putative class action “slack fill” claims under California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA) and Unfair Competition Law (UCL).
- Obtained various dismissals for a hospitality company in putative class actions under California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), Unfair Competition Law (UCL), and Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (RFDCPA), and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Defeated class certification in putative insurance class action brought by third-party claimant alleging unfair claims handling practices.
- Obtained dismissal of putative employee benefits class action on behalf of a public university.
- Obtained favorable class action settlement in case alleging noncompliance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA).
- Successful prosecution of claims for the unauthorized use of Muhammad Ali’s identity in a promotional video broadcast during the pregame show before the Super Bowl.
- University of California – Berkeley – School of Law, J.D., 2009
- California Polytechnic State University, B.S., 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Rate : $$$