Jeffrey Brill has a diverse corporate practice, primarily concentrating on mergers and acquisitions, other transactions and corporate law matters. Mr. Brill has represented public and private clients in a variety of U.S. and international transactions, including negotiated and contested acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, auctions, carve-out transactions, strategic investments, recapitalizations, reorganizations, joint ventures and other corporate matters.
Mr. Brill has advised clients in numerous industries, including representation of:
- Bruce Sherman, as lead investor of a consortium, including Derek Jeter and Michael Jordan, in the creation thereof and acquisition of the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball club, following which Mr. Sherman became the chairman, principal owner and control person of the Marlins. This transaction was featured in Law360’s profile of Skadden as M&A Group of the Year;
- The PGA TOUR in the (i) merger of its affiliate with an affiliate of EZLinks Golf to create a joint venture, EZLinks Golf LLC, a leading online tee-time reservation business, which was featured in Law360’s profile of Skadden as Sports Group of the Year; and (ii) acquisitions by EZLinks of (a) Integrated Business Systems and (b) Distinct Software Solutions and related debt and equity financings, including a significant minority investment by Providence Equity Partners;
- Citibank, N.A. in numerous transactions, including in its recent sales of its (i) fixed-income analytics and index businesses, including The Yield Book and the World Government Bond Index, to the London Stock Exchange Group; (ii) worldwide prepaid cards business to an affiliate of Wirecard AG; (iii) equities market-making business of Automated Trading Desk Financial Services to Citadel Securities; (iv) margin foreign exchange business to affiliates of FXCM and Saxo Bank; (v) mutual fund transfer agency business to affiliates of SunGard Data Systems; and (vi) wealth management services business to affiliates of Genpact Limited;
- Total Merchant Services, a payment services provider, in its acquisition by North American Bancard;
- The Sage Group plc, a FTSE 100 technology company, in various transactions, including its acquisition of Intacct Corporation and sales of (i) Sage Software Healthcare to Vista Equity Partners; (ii) the Nonprofit Solutions business to Accel-KKR; and (iii) the ACT! contact management and SalesLogix customer relationship management businesses to Swiftpage;
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International in its merger with Biovail Corporation, the largest publicly traded pharmaceutical company in Canada (The Globe and Mail’s Health Care Deal of the Year);
- Aztar Corporation, a hospitality and gaming company, in its announced, but terminated, merger with Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc., the subsequent four-way bidding contest culminating in a merger with Columbia Sussex Corporation, and in its related divestitures of casino properties;
Mr. Brill also has represented many of these clients and other public and private companies, organizations and shareholders in connection with various corporate matters, financings and corporate governance.
He also has advised clients with respect to SEC reporting obligations and takeover preparedness. In addition, he has counseled investment banking clients in transactional and financial advisory work.
- J.D., Cornell Law School, 1998 (Managing Editor, Cornell Law Review)
- B.A., Colgate University, 1993 (magna cum laude)
Admissions : New York
Associations : Member, Board of Directors, National Academy Foundation
Rate : $$$$