Jeffrey Cohen has worked on appellate matters or provided trial support in more than 20 states and territories, in both state and federal courts. He has provided trial support in more than 50 cases.
Jeff primarily represents corporate defendants in high exposure, often highly publicized cases. He has defended claims against manufacturers of motor vehicles and automotive components, recreational products including firearms, tobacco, medical and pharmaceutical products, and a variety of other products. He also has significant experience representing financial institutions and other entities in complex commercial litigation.
Jeff assists clients in addressing legal issues at all points during the litigation of a case. As an appellate lawyer, he has briefed and argued cutting-edge issues both as counsel for clients and as counsel for amicus curaie. Jeff often becomes involved in cases at inception or in time to prepare dispositive motions, discovery motions, and motions in limine.
He also has experience parachuting into cases on the eve of trial to assist trial counsel. At whatever point Jeff becomes involved in a case, he works with trial counsel in developing both trial strategy and in preserving error for possible appeal by, among other things, preparing and arguing jury instructions, directed verdict motions, and post-trial motions.
Jeff currently serves as Vice Chair of the Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Civil Cases. He also serves on the Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instruction for Contract and Business Cases. He is also a frequent lecturer on appellate practice and products liability issues.
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
- Order of the Coif
- Project Editor, University of Miami Law Review
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 1992)
Professional & Community Involvement:
- Vice Chair, Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Civil Cases (2018-2019)
- Florida Supreme Court Committee
- Standard Jury Instructions for Contract and Business Cases Committee
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Past Chairman of the Appellate Committee
Rate : $$$