Jeffrey B. Coopersmith is a veteran trial lawyer with an extensive practice focusing on civil and criminal matters, internal investigations for private and public entities, and complex commercial litigation. A former federal prosecutor, Jeff has substantial experience as lead counsel representing companies and individuals in connection with investigations and criminal and civil enforcement proceedings in the areas of health care, securities, FCPA, antitrust, tax, banking, legal ethics, and others.
Jeff’s internal investigation work has involved representation of Board committees, companies, municipalities, and corporate officers. Jeff also teaches and writes extensively on these and other topics relating to government controversies and investigations. Jeff currently serves as a member of the firm’s Quality Assurance Committee.
The complex matters Jeff handles often involve parallel criminal, civil, and/or regulatory proceedings, which requires multi-disciplinary sophistication. Jeff leverages his background in both criminal and civil litigation to benefit our clients by providing comprehensive representation in these types of matters. For example, Jeff has served as lead counsel and on litigation teams for cases arising out of the 2008 financial crisis, the stock options backdating scandal, and the government’s focus on health care fraud, among many others.
Jeff believes his job is to help clients solve difficult legal problems in the most cost-effective and efficient way possible. As a testament to this commitment, he has been repeatedly recognized as one of Washington’s leading litigators by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers, among others. Chambers USA ranks Jeff in Band 1 for his white-collar crime and government investigations work and notes he is “an outstanding criminal defense lawyer who is among the top ranks in Seattle.”
- Faculty, Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques, Emory University Law School, 2010-present
- Partner, DLA Piper, Seattle, 2005-2012
- Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District of Washington, Seattle, 1997-2005
- Associate, Covington & Burling, Washington, D.C., 1991-1997
- Law Clerk, The Honorable R. Lanier Anderson III, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 1990-1991
Professional & Community Activities:
- Past Member, Board of Ethics, Port of Seattle Commission, 2013-2014
- District of Columbia Bar
- Washington State Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- J.D., Emory University, 1990, first in class
- A.B., Economics, Duke University, 1986
Rate : $$$$