Jeffrey M. Davidson’s trial and appellate practice focuses on high-stakes commercial and insurance coverage disputes. He has achieved notable results for his clients. In a recent antitrust matter, he obtained a ruling eliminating a $3.5 billion claim shortly before trial. In another recent matter, he obtained reversal on appeal of an adverse trial ruling, after replacing prior counsel, in a case worth hundreds of millions.
In a third recent matter, he obtained a $34 million judgment after a bench trial. He is currently acting as national coordinating counsel defending a leading automotive component maker against widely publicized product liability claims.
He is also representing the University of California in its challenge to the government’s rescission of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and obtained a nationwide injunction reinstating DACA.
In his insurance coverage practice, Mr. Davidson has represented corporate policyholders in matters cumulatively resulting in the recovery of hundreds of millions for losses from breach of fiduciary duty, products liability, directors and officers, and environmental claims, as well as property damage, business interruption, and crime.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2006
- Stanford University, M.A., 2003
- Stanford University, B.A., 2003
Judicial Clerkship : Hon. Paul V. Niemeyer, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2006 – 2007
Bar Admissions :
- District of Columbia
Representative Matters :
- Representing leading company in pursuing coverage for hundreds of millions in third-party claims arising from use of insured’s product.
- Representing managed care provider in $100 million insurance recovery action under errors and omissions policies. Obtained reversal on appeal of adverse trial court ruling.
- Representing financial services firms in litigation regarding breach of earn-out payment obligations. Obtained $34 million judgment after bench trial.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in patent litigation, obtaining reversal on appeal of adverse trial verdict after replacing prior counsel.
- Representing international airline in defending class-action antitrust litigation. Negotiated settlement for far less than comparably situated defendants.
- Represented mining company on open pit mining first-party property and business interruption loss, resulting in a favorable settlement with reinsurers.
- Represented social media company in patent litigation involving web-accessible databases, obtaining complete victory in the trial court and on appeal.
Pro Bono :
- Leading challenge to the administration’s rescission of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, obtaining a preliminary injunction reinstating DACA. Defended the injunction before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- First-chaired trial defense of accused individual client, obtaining judgment of acquittal.
- Represented current and former inmates in an appeal to the Third Circuit in a civil matter involving exposure to silica in the prison workplace.
- Representing inmate in federal civil rights litigation to redress brutality by prison guards.
Rate : $$$$