Jeffrey Hamera practices in the area of litigation with a focus on the construction industry. Mr. Hamera’s clients include general contractors, design/builders, construction managers, subcontractors, suppliers, owners, architects, engineers and sureties.
He represents clients on matters involving contract drafting and negotiation for design agreements, construction contracts, EPC contracts and design/build agreements.
He also represents clients in arbitration and litigation of breach of contract claims, delay, disruption, loss of productivity, excessive change orders, out of scope work, mechanic’s liens, errors and omissions, construction defects, and property damage and personal injury claims due to design errors and omissions or faulty construction.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Mr. Hamera worked as a professional engineer for clients in the nuclear power, pharmaceutical, petrochemical and manufacturing industries.
In 2011, Mr. Hamera assisted Engineers Without Borders Chicagoland Professional Chapter (EWB-CPC) in an effort to provide the people of the remote town of Canchias, Honduras, with safe and efficient means to access vital farm and dairy land through the Canchias Agricultural Bridge Project.
In 2009, Mr. Hamera was involved with EWB-CPC’s Armenta project, which constructed a pedestrian bridge for the community of Armenta Lirios in Honduras.
- Negotiated and drafted an EPC agreement for the installation of solar panels, LED lamps and a smart-grid system for a $30 million, 15,000 pole streetlight modernization project.
- Negotiated and drafted a series of agreements for a developer for commercial projects, including new construction, rehabilitation, tenant build-out and completion of abandoned structures.
- Negotiated project labor agreements.
- Negotiated and drafted design and construction agreements for a retailer for a series of new facilities throughout the United States.
- Represented a hotel developer/operator drafting a standard agreement for projects at existing facilities.
- Represented a hotel development/operator in negotiating construction agreements for new hotels.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice for lack of personal jurisdiction for a wireless network services provider in an Illinois state court case arising from the construction of telecommunication towers in several states.
- Represented an at-risk construction manager on payment claims, change order claims and defense of construction defect and delay claims on a hotel and casino in Las Vegas.
- Represented a real estate and construction lender on numerous distressed commercial and multi-unit residential projects regarding mechanics’ lien claims and completion of construction.
- Represented the lender for a bankrupt home builder on claims in excess of $20 million including more than 400 lien claims on dozens of units in multiple subdivisions.
- Defended a construction manager/designer against a $1,100,000 lost productivity claim on a chemical processing facility.
- Advised a general contractor/design builder during termination for convenience of a $40,000,000 rehabilitation project.
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1994
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.S., Civil Engineering, 1987
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., Civil Engineering, 1986
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- American Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors – Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Design Build Institute of America
- Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Engineers Without Borders – Chicagoland Professional Chapter
- Chicago Building Congress (Past Member)
Rate : $$$