Jeffrey D. Migit is a trial attorney in the firm’s litigation section. His practice includes general litigation with an emphasis on complex commercial and business litigation.
Jeff has represented corporate and individual clients in various litigation matters involving business torts, securities fraud, directors and officers liability, oil and gas, landlord/tenant disputes, employment, real estate, construction, breach of contract, shareholder and partnership disputes, and professional malpractice.
He also has extensive experience in insurance-related litigation, including ERISA/managed care litigation and insurance coverage disputes. Jeff has tried cases in state and federal court and has handled numerous complex commercial arbitrations.
Before entering private practice, Jeff served as a briefing attorney for the Chief Justice of the State’s Fourteenth Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a take-nothing jury verdict in federal court on behalf of a managed care company in a breach of contract action in which the plaintiff hospital sought $2.3 million in damages for alleged underpaid medical claims.
- Obtained a take-nothing judgment in a federal court bench trial on behalf of a managed care company against a hospital seeking nearly $50 million in medical claims.
- Successfully represented one of the nation’s largest banks in a wrongful foreclosure case involving a fleet of drilling rigs in the Permian Basin. The plaintiffs sought over $30 million in damages and received a take-nothing judgment at trial.
- Obtained an $8.4 million judgment on behalf of a managed care company in federal court to recover payments made to a hospital and several free-standing emergency clinics based upon a sham affiliation and fraudulent misrepresentations regarding the nature of their services.
- Obtained a $3.9 million judgment on behalf of a managed care company in federal court to recover payments made to a medical imaging center based upon fraudulent misrepresentations regarding the provider of services.
- Successfully represented a managed care company in state and federal court to recover payments made to a hospital and free-standing emergency clinics based upon fraudulent misrepresentations regarding the nature of their affiliation. Confidential settlement on favorable terms.
- Represented an international liability insurer in complex insurance coverage actions involving multiple insurers and latent injury claims spanning several decades.
- Represented a former Chief Financial Officer of a publicly-traded bankrupt company sued for allegedly breaching fiduciary duties in connection with several corporate transactions.
- Represented a law firm accused of securities fraud and legal malpractice in connection with a failed real estate development project.
- JD, South Texas College of Law, 1995
- BS, University of Houston, summa cum laude, 1992
- US District Court, Southern District of Texas
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court, Western District of Texas
- US District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
Rate : $$$