As head of the firm’s energy and infrastructure team, Jeffrey P. Schroeder focuses his practice on domestic and international project finance, including project development and asset, stock and portfolio acquisitions of conventional power and renewable energy assets and companies.
With more than 25 years of experience, Jeff represents clients in all aspects of the development, acquisition, financing and divestiture of conventional power and renewables.Widely recognized for his energy and infrastructure practice, clients praise Jeff for his deep knowledge of the power sector and his ability to “negotiate a deal without the gnashing of teeth” and “make deals happen.” (Chambers USA, 2016)
Given his deep understanding of energy finance, Jeff provides advice on transactions involving complex financing structures, including Rule 144A offerings, syndicated commercial bank debt, mezzanine debt, tax equity, export credit agency and other government-guaranteed financing and risk insurance programs, and multilateral lending agency programs.
- Represented tax equity investors in various renewable energy partnership flip transactions on both a single project and portfolio basis. Transactions include:
- Alta X and XI, Bethel, Briscoe, Buckeye, CalTex, Centennial I and II, Deerfield, Dermott, Gearbox Portfolio, Goldthwaite, Great Western, Green Pastures 1, Green Pastures 2, High Majestic II, Kelly Creek, Miami, Nokota Portfolio, Odell, Palomino Portfolio, Prairie Breeze, Prairie Breeze 2 and 3, Rattlesnake, Red Pine, Rock Falls, Rocksprings, Spring Canyon II and III, and Wake.
- Represented tax equity investors in re-powering transactions, including the Palmwood Portfolio, the Sterling Portfolio and the Topaz Portfolio.
- Represented a utility and unregulated utility affiliate in the development of an “inside-the-fence” energy infrastructure project supplying a new state of the art headquarters and research center.
- Represented a financial institution in the upstream financing of a levered portfolio of operating geothermal projects in the United States.
- Represented a private equity-backed project sponsor in the refinancing of its portfolio of gas-fired power plants located in the Southwestern United States.
- Represented InterGen and its affiliates in the development and financing of the Energia San Luis de Paz power project, located in Guanajuato, Mexico and the parallel development and financing of the Altamira Compression Project, a natural gas compression station located in the Port of Altamira, Mexico.
- Represented an unregulated affiliate of a utility in the acquisition of a portfolio of fourteen projects that provide utility-like services for industrial and commercial facilities.
- Represented project company and sponsor group in the development, construction arrangements and financing of two geothermal projects located in Utah and New Mexico.
- Acted as project counsel for UniStar Nuclear Energy with respect to the structuring, development, financing, construction and operational matters for the Calvert Cliffs 3 Nuclear Power Plant, including financing under the US Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program under Title XVII.
- Acted as project counsel for USEC, Inc., with respect to the structuring, financing, development, construction and operational matters for its American Centrifuge Project, including financing under the US Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program under Title XVII.
- Represented a utility affiliate in the acquisition of a number of renewable generation projects, including the acquisition and conversion of coal-fired power plants to biomass facilities.
- Represented InterGen in the acquisition and related acquisition financing of TransAlta’s Mexican power portfolio.
- Represented a utility affiliate in connection with the development of utility scale solar projects.
- Represented ArcLight Capital and DTE Energy Services, Inc., in connection with the sale of 1,000 MW of peaking facilities in Illinois.
- Represented a global power development company in connection with its sale as a going concern for approximately $1.75 billion, including a portfolio of ten operating projects and three advanced development projects.
- Acted as project counsel in the development and financing of the DTE Energy Center project, an approximately $300 million industrial production support project relating to eight automotive manufacturing facilities in the United States.
- Acted as project counsel for the restructuring of the commercial arrangements for three peaking units in Indiana and the subsequent sale of those units.>
- Acted as project counsel in connection with an approximately $300 million refinancing of a coal-fired power plant in New Jersey.
- Represented InterGen in the acquisition, development and subsequent sale of the Mountainview project, a 1,054 MW project located in California.
- JD, Washington and Lee University, cum laude, 1991
- BA, University of Virginia, 1988
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$