Jeffrey D. Smyth focuses his practice on patent litigation in a wide variety of areas, including biotechnology and pharmaceutical, as well as electrical, mechanical, and computer technologies. He has experience in cases arising from the filing of Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) and has also litigated cases involving copyrights and trade secrets.
Jeffrey has been involved in all aspects of U.S. district court litigation, including pre-litigation activity and analysis, filing complaints, conducting written discovery, taking and defending depositions, coordinating expert discovery, and drafting motions and legal briefs. His trial experience includes participating in two jury trials in the Northern District of California and several patent cases at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Jeffrey devotes time to pro bono projects, including representing military veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and presenting oral arguments before the Federal Circuit. Prior to his legal career, Jeffrey worked in the laboratory at Dynavax Technologies, Inc., conducting early-stage vaccine research and development projects.
His work involved ELISA antibody assay development, vaccine formulation testing, and protein production in E.coli. During his undergraduate studies, Jeffrey worked in an academic laboratory searching for genetic mutations in the Arabidopsis Thaliana plant model using PCR and DNA sequencing techniques.
- Santa Clara University School of Law J.D., 2011
- University of California, San Diego B.S., Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 2005
- U.S. District Court, C.D. California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. California
- U.S. District Court, D. Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (San Francisco-Bay Area local networking chair, New Lawyer’s Committee, 2013-present)
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Francisco Bay Area IP Inn of Court
- Institute of Food Technologists
Rate : $$$$