Jeffrey A. Usow is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Chicago office and serves as a Firm Practice Leader for the global Real Estate Group. He represents a number of investment advisors, real estate private investment funds, real estate investment trusts and real estate operating companies in a variety of matters, including acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, forward commitments and asset management activities.
He has significant experience with the real estate investment group of a Chicago-based insurance company, including loans for a variety of property types, equity participations, credit enhancements, workouts and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure.
He also has been the real estate counsel in real estate private equity and real estate company acquisition transactions. In addition to being involved in transactions across the country, he has been involved in developing the firm’s international real estate practice and is a co-chair of the real estate group’s Latin American practice.
Jeffrey has been Chambers-rated the last nine years and clients say in Chambers USA that Jeffrey wins acclaim for “the ‘calming influence’ he has on transactions” (2017), “providing fast, thoughtful counsel” (2015), “showing complete dedication to his craft, the client and the transaction in hand” (2011), and that he is “very bright, astute and creative” (2010) when working for clients on complex real estate transactions.
Jeffrey was also listed in The Best Lawyers in America in 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2015. He also serves as Board member of the Wisconsin School of Business at UW-Madison, James A. Graaskamp Center for Real Estate.
- University of Wisconsin, BA
- Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude
Admissions : Illinois
- Board Member, Arts & Business Council of Chicago
- Advisory Board, Hedwig Dances, 1998 to date
- Former member of Board of Trustees, The Chicago Academy for the Arts
- Former member of Board of Trustees, National Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Foundation
- Real Property Section, American Bar Association
- Real Property Committee, Real Estate Finance Subcommittee, Chicago Bar Association
- Urban Development/Mixed-Use Council, Urban Land Institute
- Represented a large infrastructure fund in financing its acquisition of a top national parking garage owner and operator. Also represented the client in obtaining a $15 million working capital line for ongoing business operations and an acquisition loan with $100 million accordion feature for future acquisitions.
- Represented leading real estate investment manager in the purchase of 62 hotels from a hospitality company for $990 million, including $640 million of acquisition financing.
- Represented an investment management company in the acquisition of a portfolio of 13 industrial properties located in Arizona, California, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio and Texas.
- Represented an investment management company and its separate account client in the acquisition of a retail/office building located in New York City, through a joint venture.
- Represented a global asset management firm in the formation of a joint venture and the simultaneous acquisition and financing by the joint venture of property in northern California.
- Represented a real estate fund in a programmatic joint venture with a Mexican housing developer to acquire properties in target markets in Mexico for development of low and moderate income single-family housing.
Rate : $$$