Jeffry W. Duffy uses his experience as a litigator and former diplomat to advise clients on all aspects of dispute resolution. He concentrates his practice on antitrust and unfair competition, business disputes, insurance and reinsurance coverage, and civil rights litigation.
Jeff’s varied experience, including U.S. Government service in Japan and Singapore, translates into effective persuasion on behalf of clients in many different settings.
- Successfully defended a manufacturing company against Lanham Act false-advertising claims brought by a competitor, using discovery to formulate counterclaims that forced the competitor to drop its claims and agree to a $7.5 million-dollar settlement in the client’s favor and other corrective actions to create a level playing field; also persuaded court to sanction competitor’s in-house general counsel for unethical conduct in bringing claims against client.
- Represented a disabled veteran on a pro bono basis in a successful appeal of the Veterans Administration’s improper denial of medical benefits for the veteran’s service-connected conditions.
- Working directly with the general counsel and deputy general counsel of a major reinsurance company, secured a favorable decision in a complex arbitration with a ceding insurer over disputed surety bonds.
- Helped a manufacturing company achieve a favorable arbitration outcome to unravel the accounting aftermath of a failed joint venture with one of the client’s main competitors.
- Assisted in two separate trials and appeals that successfully defended the constitutionality of hotel taxes imposed by two Pennsylvania counties to fund local convention centers.
- Obtained summary judgment and a favorable settlement for a major bank in a dispute with two other banks over a high-value miscoded payment instrument.
- Center for Literacy, Philadelphia: Volunteer tutor
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Third Federal Circuit
- Diploma, Economics, The London School of Economics and Political Science, 1996
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1995
- B.A., English, University of Pennsylvania, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$