A former Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Jennifer E. Benda is an experienced tax attorney who handles tax controversy and income tax planning and compliance matters. She serves as a steadfast advocate for clients, developing relationships with IRS personnel and IRS Appeals and state departments of revenue, and leverages these relationships to successfully resolve her clients’ tax matters.
While Jennifer recognizes that out-of-court solutions can be more beneficial to her clients, she is prepared to take cases to court when necessary to ensure her clients are treated fairly.
Jennifer’s decade-long tenure as a CPA prior to entering the legal field enables her to provide additional benefits to clients in cases involving valuation or accounting issues and to effectively solve complicated tax issues.
Representative Matters :
- Resolved a large estate tax audit for a client with significant oil and gas holdings. Addressed valuation issues and used specific case details to reach an effective resolution.
- Achieved compliance without prosecution or collection action for the client, who failed to file tax returns for more than 20 years.
- Prepared voluntary disclosures for clients with an undisclosed off-shore bank account to avoid criminal prosecution.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 2005)
- Texas A&M University (B.B.A., 1994)
- Texas A&M University (M.S., 1995)
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation (Committee on Administrative Practice, Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties; Court Procedure and Practice)
- Colorado Bar Association, Tax Section Executive Council ABA Liaison
- Law360 Tax Editorial Advisory Board (2014)
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. Tax Court
BAR ADMISSIONS : Colorado, District of Columbia
Rate : $$$