With 20 years practicing employment law counseling and litigation, Jennifer B. Compton has a wealth of experience which she attributes to the variety of clients she guides through the changes in law, the economy, and the world.
Known for her client-focused legal advice, Jennifer makes it a point to understand the business aspects in addition to the legal issues, thus enabling her to work shoulder to shoulder with her clients. She primarily represents employers and provides assistance in preventative counseling and the defense of litigation brought by current and former employees.
Regularly practicing in federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration, areas of defense recently handled by Jennifer include: claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Florida Whistleblower Act, Florida Civil Rights Act, and Florida Trade Secret Act.
She also frequently litigates to enforce non-competition and non-solicitation agreements against former employees, as well as defending claims for enforcement on behalf of employers who have hired new employees subject to such covenants. Additionally, Jennifer works with executives separating out from local, regional and national employers, including the areas of severance and restrictive covenants. Jennifer is a frequent lecturer on employment law and litigation issues for employers.
- J.D., with honors, Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, 1997
- B.A., University of Florida, 1994
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Alabama, 1999
- Florida, 1997
- All Federal District Courts Florida
- $59 million trade secret judgment against a former employee who misappropriated trade secrets and set up manufacturing out of the country.
- Defense judgment in a racial discrimination claim by a terminated employee of a large manufacturer.
- Enforcement of non-competes by way of injunction and damages against former sales representatives.
- Resolution and compliance under an EEOC Consent Decree for alleged disability discrimination against a large health care facility.
- Successful defense of gender discrimination and pay disparity claim against a multi-state employer.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Sarasota Bayfront Planning Organization Board of Directors, Secretary
- All Faiths Food Bank, Governance Committee
- Greater Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member and Legal Counsel
- Trial Law Institute, Member
Rate : $$$