Jennifer DePriest is an experienced litigator who focuses her practice on complex intellectual property disputes involving patents, trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights and unfair competition. She litigates hard-fought cases against her clients’ competitors that involve core aspects of her clients’ business, as well as cases against non-practicing entities.
Her recent matters have involved LED technology, computer software, telecommunications networks, videogame software and systems, and web-enabled products and services.
Jennifer has also successfully litigated complex commercial matters – at the trial court level and on appeal – involving securities fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and other complex business disputes.
Jennifer works with her clients to implement litigation strategies designed to achieve optimal results while keeping their business objectives paramount, through all phases of litigation, whether to pre-trial resolution or to trial.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2000, J.D., summa cum laude
- Indiana University, 1990, B.A.
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
Professional Affiliations : Member, American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Obtained jury verdict and $66 million damages award for Lumileds LLC in prosecution of trade secret misappropriation claim involving LED technology. Lumileds LLC v. Elec-Tech International Co., Ltd. (Santa Clara, Cal. Superior Ct. 2015-CV-278566).
- Represented commodities trading firm in a lawsuit involving cross-claims of trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement related to the firm’s proprietary trading software. Faruki v. Eagle Seven, LLC (N.D. Ill. 06 C 7125).
- Represented software start-up HotSamba, Inc. in prosecution of copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation and breach of a software license claims. Obtained jury verdict on all claims and punitive damages. HotSamba, Inc. v. Caterpillar Inc. (N.D. Ill. 01 C 5540).
- Defends Positec and RW Direct in retrial of trade dress and trademark infringement claims. Black & Decker Corporation v. Positec USA Inc. (N.D. Ill. 1:11-cv-05426).
- Defends Baird & Warner in Lanham Act false advertising and state law unfair competition claims. At World Properties, LLC d/b/a @properties v. Baird & Warner Real Estate, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 1:18-cv-01973).
- Defended Mattress Firm, Inc. in defense of Lanham Act false advertising and state law unfair competition claims. Select Comfort Corporation v. Mattress Firm, Inc. (D. Minn. 13-cv-02451-DWF-SER) (obtained pre-trial ruling striking bulk of plaintiff’s asserted damages).
Rate : $$$