Jenni E. Edwards is a labor and employment attorney, focusing on labor relations, employment litigation, and day-to-day counsel and advice. She provides practical, common-sense advice to public- and private-sector employers and managers on workplace issues.
Jenni’s experience as in-house counsel has given her an understanding of the challenges faced by individuals in management, knowledge she uses when crafting solutions and developing business-focused resolutions for her clients’ concerns.
- As in-house counsel for a regional transit authority, provided strategic guidance during nearly a year of labor negotiations and a three-day labor strike. Guided the leadership team and management in continued operational planning, including determining whether service should be provided during the strike, developing and implementing a crisis communication plan and security strategy, setting negotiation strategies, and providing in-house training for management employees on how to handle the impending strike. Once the strike commenced, provided continued guidance on communication strategies, supported the executive team and played a key role in developing a resolution between management and striking employees.
- Assisted in the defense of an employment discrimination claim of class allegations of disparate treatment against a construction company during a three-year investigation by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Following statistical analysis and ongoing negotiation, the situation was resolved with no complaint filed against the company. Her work with this client led to changes in the company’s internal practices to ensure that future allegations would be more easily defensible.
- Served as co-counsel in the defense of an age discrimination case against corporate and individual defendants that included 18 depositions of management and nonmanagement employees. The case presented social media discovery issues. Following numerous motions and court conferences, played a significant role in obtaining summary judgment on all counts, a decision that was upheld on appeal.
- As lead counsel to a physician practice group in a dispute with a former physician-owner, was involved in discovery depositions and two days of arbitration involving alleged damages of more than $1 million.
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- National Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- Columbus Police Foundation: Board of Directors
- Leadership Columbus Class of 2016
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio: Board of Trustees
- Women for Economic and Leadership Development
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2005; Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights (2003 to 2004); Outstanding TQ Award recipient (2003 to 2004); Winstead Sechrest & Minick Voir Dire Competition finalist (2003); Certificate of Excellence in Legal Writing recipient (2003)
- B.A., Justice and Secondary Education, American University, 1999, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2010
Rate : $$$$