Jennifer Mathis litigates cases in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate level, with subject matters ranging from First Amendment to bad faith insurance litigation and from civil rights to employment defense.
Her practice focuses on litigating insurance coverage disputes in the context of professional liability policies issued to publicly-traded and private corporations and their directors and officers, not-for-profit organizations, law firms, and other professionals, and in assisting her insurance clients with resolving and managing complex professional liability claims.
She has litigated numerous bad faith and insurance coverage declaratory relief cases and also advises insurance clients on a wide range of topics in connection with professional liability insurance policies.
In addition to her insurance coverage practice, Jennifer maintains a general civil and commercial litigation practice. Her clients have included large corporations, not-for-profit entities, small business owners, and individuals.
Jennifer also has collaborated on pro bono matters with the Orange County Public Law Center, the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, Human Options (an Orange County shelter for victims of domestic abuse), KIND (Kids in Need of Defense) and the Washington, DC-based Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law.
These pro bono matters include cases involving free speech and free exercise of religion, preparing attorneys’ fee petitions for prevailing parties in civil rights litigation, assisting unaccompanied minors in navigating their way through the U.S. immigration system, and obtaining protective orders for victims of domestic violence. She also has represented clients in step-parent adoption cases.
Representative Matters :
- Represented franchisee in defending against breach of contract lawsuit and temporary restraining order in connection with dispute filed by large, national franchisor in federal court in California.
- Represented inventor of the accordion-folded car shade against Lanham Act/trademark infringement/patent lawsuit; counterclaim brought by client resulted in favorable settlement.
- Drafted successful motion for attorneys’ fees in connection with civil rights litigation pending for years in federal district court challenging deficiencies in Alabama’s mental health care system.
- Prevailed on summary judgment on breach of contract claim against client regarding insurance coverage for underlying securities fraud judgment; had earlier secured dismissal of bad faith and fraud causes of action in same case.
- Represented reporters and media entities on shield law claims as well as cases involving access to courts.
- Successfully negotiated numerous settlements on behalf of insurance clients and defendants in employment cases.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Fellow, American College of Coverage and Extra-Contractual Counsel
- California Bar Association
- Utah Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Troutman Sanders Orange County Pro Bono Committee chair
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude, 1996, Associate Editor, American Criminal Law Review; Member, Georgetown University Law School National Moot Court Team; First Place, Annual Beaudry Appellate Moot Court Competition
- University of Utah, B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1989
BAR ADMISSIONS : California, Utah
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Rate : $$$$