Jeremy A. Herschaft is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (“MERT”). Chambers USA recognizes Jeremy as a nationally-ranked shipping and maritime litigation attorney who clients have described as “an excellent lawyer” and “very detail oriented.”
He focuses his practice on all phases of commercial counseling, complex litigation, and arbitration, with particular emphasis on the global marine and energy industries. Jeremy has over 15 years of experience in advising clients on a wide range of topics, including:
- General litigation and counseling on behalf of domestic and foreign corporate interests
- International contract negotiations and disputes involving time, voyage and bareboat charter parties, bills of lading, service contracts, and contracts of affreightment
- Maritime insolvencies
- Cargo damage and general average disputes
- Recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgments in U.S. courts
- Maritime Hull and Protection & Indemnity Insurance claims
- Maritime attachment (Rule B), and vessel arrest (Rule C) actions
- Disputes involving the U.S. Commercial Instruments and Maritime Lien Act
- Maritime emergency response (collisions, pollution incidents, offshore emergency investigations, etc., with more than 89 international and domestic vessel boardings to date)
Jeremy spent the first six years of his law practice with a full-scale corporate law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana, focusing on the Mississippi River maritime industry and the Gulf of Mexico offshore deepwater energy sector.
He joined Blank Rome’s Manhattan, New York, office in 2011, and went on to manage a variety of international commercial matters and disputes. Jeremy then relocated to Houston, Texas, in 2014 to assist with expanding the Firm’s maritime capabilities in and around the Gulf of Mexico.
In 2017, he was selected to serve as the John E. Sims Distinguished Admiralty Practitioner-in-Residence at Tulane Law School. He is a Proctor member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States.
In addition to his litigation practice, Jeremy is a member of the Firm’s Blockchain & Digital Currency Group, where he enjoys researching how this and other emerging technologies are shaping the international commercial arena. He has presented at various conferences on the application of blockchain to the logistics environment.
Jeremy is an avid outdoorsman, and he enjoys ultra-distance endurance events. When not practicing law, you can find him with his family hiking and cycling along Buffalo Bayou in Houston Texas. He is a member of F3 Houston.
- A Texas fuel supplier, in national prosecution of maritime lien claims against 28 vessels arising out of international O.W. Bunker insolvency.
- A Danish shipping line in connection with the first Chapter 15 bankruptcy recognition case under the new Danish insolvency act, including adversary proceedings in the United States against 75 international and domestic NVOCC defendants.
- A “responder” fireboat following explosion of offshore drilling rig MODU DEEPWATER HORIZON.
- A downbound tanker involved in major oil spill in Mississippi River, and subsequent claims of approximately $90 million in damages.
- A freighter involved in multiple allisions following breakaway from wharf in Mississippi River.
- A barge flotilla following collision with upbound freighter in Mississippi River
- West Virginia University, BA
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD
- Tulane University School of Law, LLM Maritime
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Louisiana
- Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Young Professionals in Energy Houston
- Young Shipping Professionals New York
Rate : $$$